26: Pause and Reflect


"Reflection is looking back so that the view looking forward is even clearer."


In inquiry-based learning, reflection is an important step which allows the learners to deepen the learning process. It lets the learners pause and revisit the new knowledge, skills, or concepts that they have acquired throughout the unit, and how best they have learned them. Reflection is such a powerful tool because it allows us to get to know ourselves better, and it helps us navigate how we can learn more things in the future. 

As we close our unit on trash and the 3Rs this week, the kindergarteners had a chance to pause and reflect on what they have learned in their inquiry under the theme Sharing the planet

I asked the children:
What is the best thing you learned from our unit?





Yichen
I learned how to throw the trash in the trash can properly. If we don't throw trash properly, they might go to the ocean and hurt the fish.

Kai
I learned that we should stop polluting the ocean by throwing trash. The fish and turtles can eat them. We should put our trash in the right trash can.


Luca
This is the fish and turtle. They can eat trash in the water.


Lucky
I learned about trash. I learned to throw trash properly.


Shuyao
Plants and animals are nice.


Louis
I learned how to take care of the Earth. I learned how to throw trash properly. I separate the trash.


Emma
I learned how to recycle the trash. I learned that when you recycle, you also take care of animals. I like taking care of animals by giving them some of my towels.


Daniel
People should throw rubbish properly. If they don't, the duck will be sad.


Tamaki
I learned that people should tidy up the trash on the street. 
If we don't tidy up, the world will be messy.


Veronica
I learned about the Earth. This is me. When I throw the trash correctly, I help the Earth and protect the animals and the Earth can be beautiful.


Amaru
I lThis is me. I'm learning how to recycle. All the animals see me and they come to say thank you because this helps them not to get hurt.


Luna
This is the Earth. This is me and I'm tidying up the Earth. By doing this, I can save the animals and people. 


Mamoru
This is trash in the ocean and there is a duck. He is not happy. A diver has to go in and clean everything.


Frankie
I learned that if you don't throw the trash properly, the environment and the animals will get hurt. In my art, you can see trash on the floor.


Suzu
This is a sludge. We make a big sludge to throw the trash and clean the city so that animals can be happy. 


How about you, what was the best thing you learned from our unit? 
Please share your thoughts on the comments section below. 😊


We also revisited the song that we learned at the beginning of the unit to celebrate what we love about the planet Earth. This time around, we made our own version with the beautiful things that we want to save when we remember to share the planet well.



A big gift that we can get from pausing and reflecting is an appreciation of how much we have changed in the process of learning. One of my reflections this week: oh, how much the kindergarteners have grown -- in their heart, head and hands.


Have a wonderful Spring break to all of you.


Your Kindergarten teacher, 

Pam


P.S. Here's a link to the full video our Kindergarten 2 Assembly last February 29th. 

Enjoy!


Welcome to Kindergarten 2, Shuyao! 😀



----


Upcoming events

March 2024

  • 26 - 29
    Culture week (Hanami Easter Egg Hunt)

April 2024

  • 15 - 19
    Assessment Week 3
  • 19
    Sports Day
    9:00-13:00
  • 22 - 26
    Tracker Day 3
  • 25
    Assembly (PS)
  • 25
    Sleep-over (Pre-School – G 2)

----

Exclusive offer for families of DSKI

Kobe Storks vs. Veltex Shizuoka Home Game
Sunday March 31 
14:00 Tipoff  World Memorial Hall
Free for DSKI students and siblings
Price for adults: 1000 Yen per person


DSKI Parents' and Guardians
 
Hello, this is Kobe Storks.
We are a professional basketball team in Kobe city.

We would like to announce that Kobe Storks and DSKI collaborated together to have a HOME GAME TOUR EVENT.
Kobe Storks will invite you to attend our home game at World Memorial Hall on March 31 against a professional basketball team in Shizuoka. 

As of February 29, Veltex Shizuoka is currently in 5th place in the Western Conferenceand Kobe Storks is currently in 4th place in the Western Conference. This game is going to be very important for our team to advance in the playoffs.
We need your passionate support to give energy to our players!

We are looking forward to seeing you all in the game on March 31!!

----

Culture Week

March 26 - 29

Thank you so much to everyone who has volunteered for Culture Week or provided items for the six themed tables. 

If you would still like to bring items in for the themed tables, it's not too late. As a reminder, the themes are: animals, landmarks, famous people, clothes, games and sports. 

For the Hanami picnic on Friday 29th March, homeroom teachers will be in touch to coordinate food for their classes. Parents are very welcome to join the Hanami picnic with their child's class. 

Here is a reminder of the schedule for the week:



Comments