19: Perspective


It's not only moving that creates new starting points. Sometimes all it takes is a subtle shift in perspective, an opening of the mind, an intentional pause and reset, or a new route to start to see new options and new possibilities.

-Kristin Armstrong




What do you see when you look at this picture?


In the story of The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, many people see it as a hat when it is actually meant to be a boa constrictor that swallowed an elephant. 



Perspective is a powerful concept that changes how we navigate the world. Apart from its importance in helping us deepen our relationships and bridge cultures, perspective also
 allows us to think outside the box. Whether we see the drawing as a hat or a boa constrictor, it's okay because the way we see the world is different from each other.

In the world of art, perspective is an important tool to connect the artist with the viewer. Art tells stories and sometimes, the stories change and its impact differs depending on who the audience is.

This week, the kindergarteners learned the value of perspective in three ways: 

First, when we shared the things that make us feel certain emotions.
Second, when they were given opportunities to express their ideas and feelings 
through abstract art.
Third, when we let loose and allowed the mess to help us learn.


PERSPECTIVE AND FEELINGS

Feelings are abstract, and sometimes, the only people who truly understand the breadth and depth of emotions that we go through is ourselves. There are times when we even need to take a step back to understand what it is that we are going through. Conversations about our emotions are important, especially because it helps to validate what we feel and it allows for other people to understand and empathize with us. 

This week, an unplanned but meaningful discussion happened in class. One of the constants in our room is a magnet of a hedgehog whom we named Piper, after my pet. One of the children asked, "Ms. Pam, where is Piper now?"
I said, "Oh, didn't I tell you? Piper already died."
The children were visibly concerned and some of them asked, "Are you sad, Ms. Pam?" 

It was a simple question but one that I found as an opportunity to speak about an emotion so complex that sometimes, it's difficult to talk about it: sadness.

I answered, "Yes, I am. And when I see her pictures, sometimes, I feel sad again because I miss her. But that's okay." 
I asked the children, "How about you, what makes you sad?"

For a moment, I didn't realize that I was speaking with 4-5 year olds.

I felt sad when my dog died.
I feel sad when Mommy and Daddy are not home. I miss them.
I felt sad when my grandpa died.
I feel sad when I get hurt.
I feel sad when no one plays with me.
I feel sad when people don't take care of my toys or throw things I made.

The sharing was so organic and everyone was fully engaged with what their friends were saying. It was a beautiful moment that I truly wished we captured in pictures. It was a lesson in perspective for me, too -- to never underestimate the capacity of young children to empathize. 

ABSTRACT ART

Abstract art is a beautiful exercise for developing perspective. Since it's anchored on colors, shapes, forms, and textures, the final piece is often open-ended and gives room for dialogue and different interpretations. 












This week, the kindergarteners created different abstract artwork and shared their interpretations of what it is, and how it makes them feel.

HANA


What did you paint?

It’s a forest. The forest has a lot of trees. There are dinosaurs in the forest. The dinosaurs are finding humans. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy. I like dinosuars. My favorite one is the T-Rex.


EMMA

What did you paint?

I painted a lot of flowers. It’s in a garden. There are blue, yellow, green, and pink flowers. It’s Hana’s garden.


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy because I like Hana. I also like gardens. Hana and I planted the flowers together. We live in the same house. 


RYOICHIRO

What did you paint?

I painted a swirl in the sky. It’s like the wind. A very strong wind. It is blowing a lot of things. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy. It makes me feel happy because it’s colorful. 


CHANIN

What did you paint?

I painted snow. There’s a lot of snow on the ground. It was a sunny day. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy. It makes me feel happy because I love snow. 


SARAH

What did you paint?

I painted colorful snow. It’s like rainbow snow. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy because I love snow. I love rainbows too. Rainbow snows are beautiful.  


KENNOSUKE

What did you paint?

I painted a potato. The potato is in the onsen. The water cooked the potato. Ms. Pam ate the potato after. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me happy. I like the colors that I used, especially red. Pink and yellow too.


TAMAKI 

What did you paint? 

I painted some stars. I painted the triangles. They are like trees. I also painted some clouds. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy. It was so fun to make my painting. 


KALLEA

What did you paint?

I painted a rainbow. I mixed the colors to make the rainbow. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy because rainbows make me happy. I love rainbows because they have many colors. 


EMMA

What did you paint? 

I painted the nighttime. I am looking out the window. I see meteors in the sky. I feel happy.


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel like I am in the painting. It makes me feel happy. 


CLARA

What did you paint?

I painted a lot of lines. I love line drawings. Lines are beautiful. The lines remind me of hair — my sister’s hair. My sister’s hair is so beautiful.


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy. I think my painting looks beautiful. 


HARUTO

What did you paint?

I painted nighttime. The yellow ones are the stars. The peach color is a scary house. 

It has a ghost.


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel surprised. The ghost in the painting surprised me. 


KANATO

What did you paint?

I painted many circles. They are different fish. Some are small, some are very big. Fish make me feel curious. I want to learn about them.


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel excited. I want to get fish toys just like the fish in my painting.


KOH

What did you paint?

My painting is a swimming pool. I like swimming. My painting is like a map of my house going to the pool. I can also see my grandpa’s house. 


What does your painting make you feel? 

My panting makes me feel happy. I love painting. Swimming makes me happy, too.


ZOEY

What did you paint?

My mommy. My mommy makes me feel happy too.


What does your painting make you feel? 

My painting makes me feel happy. It makes me feel happy because of the colors. 


How about you, how did you interpret the kindergarteners' beautiful masterpieces? 😀



PARDON THE MESS

A big part of creating art is allowing room for the mess to happen. In fact, mess plays a big role in the progress and success of artists, as well as learners. According to learningismessy.com,

"Learning is often a messy business. Messy learning is part trial and error, part waiting and waiting for something to happen, part excitement in discovery, part trying things in a very controlled, very step by step fashion, part trying anything you can think of no matter how preposterous it might seem, part excruciating frustration and part the most fun you’ll ever have. Time can seem to stand still – or seem to go by in a flash. It is not unusual at all for messy learning to be… um… messy! But the best part of messy learning is that besides staining your clothes, or the carpet, or the classroom sink in ways that are very difficult to get out … it is also difficult to get out of your memory!"


Have a look at the unforgettable memories that we made this week:
 
WATERCOLOR SPLASHES












STRIING PAINTING















GLUEING TABLE











Art is a remarkable vehicle that not only helps us express ourselves better, but allows us to change how we view the world and our purpose in it. I hope that the subtle shift in our perspectives will teach the kindergarteners to see the world differently, and appreciate it for its diversity.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Your Kindergarten teacher, 
Pam



Comments

  1. They enjoyed expressing themselves. I like their colourful pictures. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment