6: Is There Really a Human Race?


"Is there really a human race?
Is it going on now all over the place?
When did it start?
Who said, "Ready, Set, Go"?
Did it start on my birthday?
I really must know."
-Jamie Lee Curtis


The need for speed. 
Many people may associate this phrase with a famous movie line or the title of a video game, but even before the expression was coined, the incessant desire to drive fast has existed in our society. This is why speed limits are created -- to ensure that the roads will be safe for drivers, pedestrians, and even animals. 

Somehow, people still found a way to satisfy this need -- and races were created. 
The need for speed is fulfilled, but in a controlled and safe environment. 

To deepen our inquiry on the forms of transportation (and to also answer some of the questions they posed on our I Wonder, I Think, I Know Wall), I asked the children, 

"Have you ever been in a race before?" "No," they said.
"What is a RACE?" I continued.
"It's when you don't want to be late."
"You want to be first."
"You are fast."
"You get the gold necklace when you win."
"You use a race car."
"You do it on the road."
"Wouldn't it be a great idea if we have a race in class?"
Of course they said yes. The need for speed is strong in this class. 😆


So we planned for our race. 
We got our land transportation toys and figured out how we can make them go fast using materials in the room. We used our observation and thinking skills and figured out that by using a ramp, the vehicles can go faster. The steeper the ramp is, the faster it gets. 




The children then designed their own road where the races will take place. They drew a variety of sights that they would like to see along the way: 
forests
rainbows
oceans
houses
gardens
playgrounds
and animals
















We tried looking for the fastest race cars we could find to test them on the roads that we made.
Oh boy, they sure could fly -- figuratively, of course. 😊




The children managed to satisfy their need for speed BUT...
they didn't enjoy the sights along the way. 
I asked them, "What do you think did the race cars see when they were speeding on your road?" One of them answered, "Nothing, because it was too fast."
"You drew so much beautiful sights. Wouldn't it be a waste not to enjoy them?" I asked.

The children agreed that when we go fast, we miss out on so many beautiful things. 

So we gathered all our other land transportation toys and picked the ones that could enjoy the sights better. 





After a game of iSpy, we were able to put all the vehicles on the roads that we made.  



It wasn't a race anymore --- it was a traffic jam! 😅
At least we get to enjoy the view, right? 

 



To connect our inquiry on transportation to our yearlong unit, I read one of my all-time favorite children's books to the kindergarteners. It's written by Jamie Lee Curtis and the message is simple: to slow down and smell the roses. Since our yearlong unit focuses on our interests and abilities, it's the perfect book to help us reflect on the things that matter to us -- especially the ones that make us genuinely happy.

Please have a watch:


We took a pause from our race and revisited the sticks and stones that we collected from our walk last week. We got a little messy once again and painted them with the colors of the rainbow. 





And we used them for our very first Story Workshop in Kinder 2.
The Story Workshop is an approach to literacy that was created by the Opal School. The premise is simple: that all materials around you are a source of story that is waiting to be unleashed. 

This week, the kindergarteners used the sticks and stones that we gathered as our storytellers. 

If you want to find out more about this approach, have a look here.








I asked the children:
What are the things you like doing that make you happy?


Through the loose parts on the table, I shared with the children that for me, photography gives me joy. I discovered my love for it when I was a young girl. I used to tinker around with my grandfather's cameras back in the Philippines and whenever I took a picture, people would smile. Their smiles made me happy, too.


SARAH
I like going to the park and the swimming pool. 
I like swimming because it makes me happy. 
I go there with my grandma and baby. 


YORINOBU
I like playing with cars. 
I like playing them with my Mommy. 
My favorite cars are blue, yellow, and red. 
I also like reading books. 
They make me happy.


CLARA
I like playing with Mommy in the house.
We play with our dog, Hachiko.
We always play in the morning. 
I really love playing with Mommy Nami.


KOH
I like eating sausage a lot.
I can finish 100 sausages. 
That's how much I like it.
Mommy cooks sausages for me.
Sausages are the best.


HANA
I like eating a lot of sausages with my whole family.
I just like sausages with nothing else. 
I can eat a lot of sausages in 1 day. 
I feel excited when we have sausages at home.


EMMA I.
I like playing outside with my toy dog. 
It is color white.
It is named Emma, too.
Sometimes, we play hide and seek.
When I play with my dog, it makes me happy.


EMMA C.
I love watching TV with my sister.
I like Paw Patrol, especially Skye.
I like Skye because she flies. 
When I watch, I love snuggling under a blanket.
It's cozy.


KALLEA
My favorite thing to do is to laugh.
Daddy makes me laugh so hard. 
Daddy makes silly faces and he shares jokes. 
Those things make me laugh.


CHANIN
I like eating ice cream.
My favorite is strawberry.
I think I can eat 10 scoops of ice cream in 1 day.
Ice cream makes me happy.


KANATO
I love to make cars.
I use my Legos to make big cars.
I love cars because they move.
When I make cars, I show them to Mommy and Daddy to make them happy.


How about you, what are the things that make YOU happy?
(Personally, seeing the children share their first stories made me truly happy.
Sometimes, the simple joys are truly the best, aren't they?)

-----

"Is there really a human race?"
I've thought about this question many times. Maybe there is. 
The beauty of life is that we have our own choice. 
We can choose to go fast, we can take our time, or sometimes, 
we can even pause to appreciate things better. 

"Sometimes it's better not to go fast.
There are beautiful sights to be seen when you're last.
Shouldn't it be that you just try your best?
And that's more important than beating the rest?
Shouldn't it be looking back at the end
that you judge your own race by the help that you lend?
So, take what's inside you and make big, bold choices,
And for those who can't speak for themselves,
use bold voices.
And make friends and love well,
bring art to this place
And make the world better
for the whole human race."

I think I would pass on that race car for now.

Have a wonderful week ahead, everyone.

Your Kindergarten teacher, 
Pam

Comments